W. Sanford Durland III
PRACTICE AREAS & EXPERIENCE
Upon graduation from college, “Sandy” served as a legislative staff assistant to the Hon. Hamilton Fish, Jr. in the United States House of Representatives. He is a partner at Schmidt & Federico, P.C., having joined the firm in 1999 after spending time as a solo practitioner and after working for several prestigious, family law firms in Boston. His practice is currently concentrated in domestic relations, family law and probate litigation, at both the trial and appellate levels.
Sandy has successfully argued a number of leading appellate, divorce cases, including those in such areas as the interpretation of the Alimony Reform Act (Chin vs. Merriot, 470 Mass. 527 and Holmes vs. Holmes, 467 Mass. 653), determining the forms of income used in child support calculations (Wasson vs. Wasson, 81 Mass.App.Ct. 574), the appropriate used of percentage-based alimony (Wooters vs. Wooters, 42 Mass.App.Ct. 929), income attribution in determining support (C.D.L. vs. M.M.L., 72 Mass.App.Ct. 146), business valuations and pass through/K-1 income (Caveney vs. Caveney, 81 Mass.App.Ct. 102) and divorce-related taxation (L.J.S. vs. J.E.S., 464 Mass 346).
He has authored and co-authored a number of legal treatises including, “Defending Accounts,” Equity Actions in the Probate Court, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education and “Pre-Trial Hearings” and “Financial Statements,” Massachusetts Divorce Law Practice Manual, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, as well as a number of articles for the Boston and Massachusetts Bar Associations and Massachusetts Lawyer’s Weekly. He has lectured on such topics as will contests, the Alimony Reform Act, alimony and child support, child custody and visitation, equitable property division, contempt actions as well as on recent developments and changes in family law.
– Graduate of the College of the Holy Cross (B.A., 1983)
– Northeastern University School of Law (J.D., 1987)
– Admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (1987)
– United States District Court, District of Massachusetts (1987)
– Member of the Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations
– Essex Bar Association (Probate & Family Court Conciliation Program)
– Massachusetts Family & Probate Inn of Court (Board Member)
– Listed as a “Super Lawyer” in the Boston Magazine, New England Super Lawyer (2006 through 2016 editions)
– Member, Board of Trustees of Esperanza Academy, Lawrence, Massachusetts (2005-2013)